Monday, January 28, 2013

Lanhua Pendant - Making of | Go to post

Hello ♥

I try my best to blog about what I make BEFORE posting them on DA, it helps to clear my mind. And to distract me from the fact that I really should be working on the slowly growing pile of schoolwork that's being neglected. Anyway, this is the latest piece made, Lanhua:


It's a name chosen by my mother, it's a chinese name for flowers like orchids. And here are the working shots -


Somehow, things always get complicated when I try to plan. The original frame didn't work out so I changed it, and halfway through I decided to use a teardrop stone instead. (More painful bezel setting practice, huehue. It's such a failure.) I think I might buy bezel wire soon. Rolling it out from round wire, it's hard to get straight and even and thin bezels.

This piece was made to learn how to do the swirl designs, my mother calls them 'tadpole ends'. And it was inspired by lanterns. Chinese New Year is coming, there are lots and lots of lovely lanterns all over the place with cute little tassels below ♥ But in my dorm lobby there are giant pineapples instead OTL. Anyway. I get so excited looking at the decorations, putting up lanterns and peonies in my house ♥ And then I found a string of rutilated quartz I bought a long time ago, the black slashes against white stone remind me of calligraphy and ink paintings. (I wanted to use a rutilated/dendritic quartz or carnelian for the focal stone, but I don't have either so it's back to clearing the labradorite stash.) I think it would have looked nice with a red stone, red is a lucky colour for this time of the year~

And also, I'm trying to make neater open back bezels and frames-



I think I did quite well on this :) Doesn't hurt that the stone has lovely flash behind! I'm really happy with the swirls and the tassel, I think they look really pretty, so I want to make more pieces like this. If only the darn chains weren't so hard to photograph! And, wondering about how it would look in silver -



Blue stones really do look much brighter in silver. Copper is warm and lovely, but silver is so ethereal ♥. (The problem is, I don't want to indulge in making silver things unless I'm going to to sell them because I spend too much money. But I don't want to sell them because they are too precious. But I want to buy silver.) I think probably I will hoard them for a little while yet, before opening shop.

♥ Jasmyn

Labels: , , ,

8:21 PM

Search ★



Looking for something specific? A tutorial, tip or design? Use this search box to find what you need!

About ★



Currently on HIATUS but leaving this blog up for those who are still looking at old tutorials/process shots :) Will be back one day maybe!

ValkyrieCouture ★

Facebook ★

Sodacrush ★

Archives

Laika pendant - making of | Wire Wrapped Pendants + Labradorite | Merry Christmas + Happy New Year! | Hello, Some shots of simple watercolour + typewri... | Updates! | Stickers + Packaging | Hullo! ♥ Just a few quick pictures to share - Her... | metal clay adventures | Photoshoot collab + updates | Life update |

November 2009 | April 2010 | March 2011 | April 2011 | May 2011 | August 2011 | September 2011 | October 2011 | December 2011 | January 2012 | February 2012 | March 2012 | May 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | January 2013 | February 2013 | May 2013 | June 2014 | July 2014 |
Inspiration

more Quotes
Personal Sites
Tumblr
images: layout: powered by:
back
forth
Facebook DeviantArt JewelryLessons Sodacrush on Etsy ValkyrieCouture on Etsy

love&lust

follow